Sunday, July 02, 2006

Station Grid and Chines

I had an hour or so this afternoon, and decided to get a little done on the boat. I took the weights off the epoxied butt joints from yesterday, and was pleased to find that they seem to be strong. The second one I did looks a little cleaner and smoother than the first... but hopefully they will both be strong!

The next step is to draw "station grid lines" on both sides of the 16' planks. These are drawn every 12"... and are necesary because they mark the exact locations for the placement of the frames, oarlocks, mast partner, etc. If you look closely at this picture, you might see that I have labeled this line "6"... the location of the first frame. There will be other frames placed at Grid #10 and Grid #14. Here you can see many of the station grid lines... and can also see the almost invisible butt joint. After a little sanding and a good paint job, it really should be virtually invisible! You may wonder why we had to make grid lines every 12 inches when there are only three lines needed for the frames. Simple! We will lay out the shape for the sides of our boat by making marks on each of these lines. Hopefully, Dan and I will get to that tomorrow night!
The other thing I got to today was manufacturing our chines. A chine is another piece of wood that runs the entire length of the boat. Just like the gunwale runs along the top edge of the boat, the chine runs along the lower edge. Unlike the gunwales, the chines call for two full length cuts... the second being a tricky little 15 degree angled cut.

I started by ripping a 3/4" x 1 1/2" board from what's left of the 18 foot 2 x 10... exactly like we did for the gunwales. Then, I set the angle of the blade on my table-saw to 15 degrees, and my rip fence in the right spot that I could split the board directly in half lengthwise.
With my wife's help, I pushed the wood all the way through...
Creating two slivers of wood that are 16 feet long, and roughly 3/4 of an inch square... with a 15 degree bevel along one edge. These pieces will be glued and screwed along the bottom edge of sides of the boat... and will give us a perfect surface for gluing and screwing the bottom of the boat to the sides of the boat! Here's a good end-view of the chines.
Until tomorrow then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home